[PyQt] Deploying PyQt in a C++ Application

Ferguson, Eric W (397B) Eric.W.Ferguson at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 6 23:22:58 BST 2015

Phil,

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly. Again, pardon my ignorance
since I am new to python deployment.

Since you said using pydeployqt was possible, I had a few additional
questions regarding that tool:

1.The first tab of the pydeployqt GUI is for your application source.
Since I am embedding python into my C++ application, I don¹t really think
I have an application source. It seems like something has to be specified
on this tab though and I am not sure what to include.

2. I definitely know which PyQt modules and standard library modules I
want to include, so those tabs were easy. However, the location tab is a
bit confusing for me as well. I want to use python2.7 as the interpreter.
The next tab requests the source location for python. Python 2.7 came
preinstalled on my mac - does that include the python source code or do I
need to get a tarballed source from python.org?

3. For the target python locations, I know where to find the python
include directory for 2.7 on my machine. In the tutorial for the python
library, it looks like you are pointing to a static library (.a). Does
this mean I need to statically build the python library before using this
tool, or will the tool do that for me? Do I give it the path to a library
that already exists or is this a path to the library that will be built?

I also noticed your static build section after the pyqtdeploy tutorial
using the command line interface tool. Perhaps I shouldn¹t be using the
pydeployqt GUI and instead should be using that tool instead? If so, how
can I include more than a small sub-set of the standard libraries in my
static build of python?

Thanks,
Eric