[PyQt] Exceptions in Python Implementations of Virtuals

Kovid Goyal kovid at kovidgoyal.net
Tue Sep 30 18:26:01 BST 2014

Aborting on all unhandled exceptions in python callbacks will be a huge
behavior change. I dont think it is one you can make lightly. Certainly
not in a minor release.

My original proposal for using qFatal() is simply in cases where you
already *know* that Qt will segfault because of the unhandled exception.
In such cases, qFatal() with an informative error is much nicer.

Regarding the general question of what to do with exceptions in python
callbacks, I think it should be left upto the application developer. One
possible mechanism would be to store the exceptions in a global variable
(say limited to the last 100 exceptions) and let the application
developer deal with them as he thinks appropriate.

Kovid.