[PyQt] [pyqtdeploy] Make package installable via pip -e

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Wed Nov 26 09:24:55 GMT 2014

On 26/11/2014 12:18 am, Ilya Kulakov wrote:
> I didn't run it, just checked the codeā€¦
>
> https://github.com/GreatFruitAndy/pyqtdeploy/blob/master/setup.py#L39-L52
> <https://github.com/GreatFruitAndy/pyqtdeploy/blob/master/setup.py#L39-L52>
>
> It looks like it will use 'unknown' as version.

...in the case that you use pip -e.

> May I know why version number cannot be kept in the version.py file
> without using make or other generators?
> One could use the "-pre" postfix to distinguish release from
> development versions.
>
> E.g. just after release of 0.9, simply update it to 0.10-pre.

...which isn't enough information. The actual latest changeset needs to
be identified.

Many years of experience has taught me not to rely on manual processes
for creating version information. An accurate version number is the key
piece of information when you are expected to support thousands of
users.