[PyQt] Install error on Ubuntu 14.04LTS

David Lonie david.lonie at kitware.com
Thu Nov 20 19:49:29 GMT 2014

Hi all,

I'm working on converting a large project that uses PyQt 4.10.1 (x11-gpl
sources) to be able to build a system installed python. My changes have
been working on Arch Linux, but when tested on Ubuntu 14.04LTS, we
encounter the following issue:

PyQt is being configured with (newlines added for readability):

env PYTHONPATH=/home/user1/build_sys/install/lib/python2.7/site-packages

  /usr/bin/python configure.py

    -q /usr/bin/qmake

    --confirm-license

    -b /home/user1/build_sys/install/bin

    -d /home/user1/build_sys/install/lib/python2.7/site-packages

    -v /home/user1/build_sys/install/include

    -v /home/user1/build_sys/install/share

    -p /home/user1/build_sys/install/share/plugins

    -n /home/user1/build_sys/install/share/qsci

    --assume-shared

    -e QtGui -e QtHelp -e QtMultimedia -e QtNetwork -e QtDeclarative

    -e QtOpenGL -e QtScript -e QtScriptTools -e QtSql -e QtSvg

    -e QtTest -e QtWebKit -e QtXml -e QtXmlPatterns -e QtCore

Aside from the redundant -v option (I'll look into this separately),
these options seem to make sense with the build instructions here:

http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/PyQt4/installation.html

The build is successful, however the installation step fails with the error:

cp: cannot remove
‘/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/mainloop/qt.so’: Permission
denied

This seems like a bug, as the build system is attempting to remove a
file outside of the specified prefixes.

Am I overlooking a configuration option? Any suggestions to fix this?

Let me know if there's any other helpful information I can provide.

Thanks,

Dave