[PyQt] Portable Application

michael h michaelkenth at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 16:35:02 GMT 2014

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Giacomo Licari <giacomo.licari at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I'm a new user, I have a little question, maybe someone more experienced
> than me could reply.
> I developed a little application for an University Course, using PyQt4 and
> Python 3, my question is:
> is possible to make the application portable?
>
> The professor should execute the application from his PC, without
> installing the libraries, maybe putting all the content on a CD-ROM.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> I'll make the application source corde available on github.
>
> Regards,
> Giacomo

Adding to what Andreas and Ilya both said:

I've had best success with cxfreeze on python 3 (with a somewhat complex
PyQt5/python3.4 application, which uses various other C extensions as well).

There's a py3 branch of pyinstaller that almost worked (had a problem with
pywin32). Pyinstaller worked out of the box for the py2 version of the
above mentioned app.

I'll second what Ilya said about testing on a different machine to make
sure all the DLLs/etc were included as well.

- MH