[PyQt] pyqtdeploy ubuntu site-packages versus /usr/local/lib/.../dist-packages

lloyd konneker bootch at nc.rr.com
Thu May 15 23:14:26 BST 2014

I am trying pyqtdeploy on Ubuntu 14.04 and OSX.

I have some third-party packages installed using '>python3 setup.py
install' and in Ubuntu they go to
/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages.  (Actually the third-party is
me, they are just separate projects, and it's possible that setup.py is
not correct).  But on OSX, they seemed to go to a different places, a
site-packages directory.

Using pyqtdeploy, under Locations>SitePackages,  on OSX pyqtdeploy shows
said packages, but not on Ubuntu.

I tried adding /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages to PYTHONPATH, but
that didn't make them show up as site packages in pyqtdeploy.

I would guess that its a convention/standardization problem, that Debian
or Ubuntu argues against letting 'users' (as opposed to administrators)
install to /usr/lib and insists they install to /usr/local/lib.

Should pyqtdeploy call these packages 'third party packages', and look
in both places?

Its not a big problem, I suppose I can just sudo and copy the packages
to where pyqtdeploy will find them.

Or have I made a mistake?