[PyQt] full speed, into a tar pit

Giuseppe Corbelli giuseppe.corbelli at copanitalia.com
Fri May 2 08:59:16 BST 2014

On 02/05/2014 06:00, Erik Hvatum wrote:
> Hey Phil,
>
> Do you think a qt interface in boost::python, ie a reimplementation of
> pyqt  with boost python, could conceivably be usable? It seems likely the .pyd/.so
> files would be quite large, of course.
>
> I find myself mixing boost python and pyqt/sip a lot, and going the whole
> hog crosses my mind now and then. So, while I'm not seriously considering
> taking on this bestial and likely doomed task, I would find it fascinating to
> hear an expert's take.

I'm no expert too, but see here

http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_Binding_Generator
http://setanta.wordpress.com/2009/08/31/shiboken/

In particular:

Why did you switch from Boost.Python to Shiboken?

The main reason was the size reduction. Boost.Python makes excessive use of
templates resulting in a significant increase of the binaries size. On the
other hand, as Shiboken generates CPython code, the resulting binaries are
smaller.

Seems that "quite large" is rather "too large".

--
             Giuseppe Corbelli
WASP Software Engineer, Copan Italia S.p.A
E-mail: giuseppe.corbelli at copanitalia.com