[PyQt] pyqtdeployed app crashes on launch

Dave Gradwell davegradwell at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 00:05:52 BST 2014

You are right, the pragmatic thing to do is move to PyQt5.
I will give this a shot - thanks for the advice,
Dave.

 Subject: Re: [PyQt] pyqtdeployed app crashes on launch
 To: pyqt at riverbankcomputing.com
 Date: Wednesday, 16 July, 2014, 13:09

 The last command (the one with all
 the errors) is the linking phase for
 your app.  The errors mean that one of the libraries is
 compiled for
 32-bit (but you are compiling and linking for 64-bit.)
 I don't know
 enough to say exactly which part (PyQt or SIP?)

 If you have already gotten your build environment to work
 for a PyQt5
 example, it might be easier to convert your app to Qt5 and
 PyQt5?  I
 think that the Qt API's have not changed much.  I am
 not saying its
 trivial.  Substituting the strings "PyQt5" for "PyQt4"
 is simple, but in
 PyQt5, many classes moved from QtGui to QtWidgets, but that
 might
 require only a few changes.  And you would want to
 retest your app's
 GUI, which is probably not automated?  It should not
 matter to your
 users, on Mac your app bundle could contain Qt5 frameworks.

 The flux from 32-bit to 64-bit,
 Python 2 to 3, Qt 4 to 5, desktop to mobile,
 grief for many.