[PyQt] use dip with a classic parent child relationship

John Fabiani johnf at jfcomputer.com
Wed Jan 15 21:09:30 GMT 2014

On 01/15/2014 11:14 AM, John Fabiani wrote:
> On 01/15/2014 10:57 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:
>> On 15-01-2014 6:38 pm, John Fabiani wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have reviewed the doc's and the examples (well at least once).  So
>>> far it looks like alot of the automatic stuff is done and lot's of
>>> ways to deal with making changes.
>>>
>>> But I don't see the an example of the classic parent ->childl
>>> ->grandchild model.  The standard invoice header with invoice line
>>> items where there are two tables used.
>>> How is that done?  I did not gather the info from the doc (or I
>>> missed it).
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand the question.
>>
>> If you are expecting dip to automatically create a usable GUI for you
>> for an arbitrary model then you are going to be disappointed.
>> Automatically created GUIs are Ok so long as they are kept simple -
>> for things like dialogs or wizards, or parts of a bigger GUI.
>>
>> Phil
> No nothing to do with the GUI (view).  But how to associate a table
> with a child table.  The classic is the you have a grid at the top of
> a form with all the invoices associated with a customer (in the
> grid).  Below you have a grid with all the line items associated with
> the invoice (header).
>
> In this case the parent is the customer record, the child is the
> invoice headers, and the grandchild is the line items.
>
> one to many to many relationship.
>
> I'll guess and suggest the you create some sort of trigger action in
> the model?  Then somehow you have to write a controller????  Or is all
> of that done in some auto way?
>
> Johnf

I kept reading and maybe I have discovered that the model is not
complete.  Meaning that it does not have a way to save to a persistent
database?  And I got that from the roadmap.  So my question on
parent->child didn't make sense due to the current state of dip.  Is
that correct. If so is there a spec you have developed that I might
follow to develop the code.

Johnf