[PyQt] got stuck translating webftpclient example to PyQt

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Mon Feb 3 21:18:06 GMT 2014

Dear Moritz,

On Sonntag, 2. Februar 2014 20:26:27 Moritz Warning wrote:

> ok, I have switched to unicode strings.
> Thanks for the pointer.

As an author of example code, you should adhere to a good coding style even
more closely than under other circumstances.

Therefore, you should indent with 4 spaces:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#code-lay-out.

Using * imports are considered harmful:
http://docs.python.org/3.3/howto/doanddont.html

For PyQt{4,5}, it's best practise to use:

from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtNetwork, QtWebKit

> Anyway, I looks like the cpp example (and for that reason my python port) is
> broken anyway. I created a minimal example. But it did not give me a clue
> and I haven't found other code to compare to, yet.
>
> Only a part of the expected content is displayed (the first 512 Bytes):
> Minimal example that demonstrates the problem:
>
> https://github.com/mwarning/PyQt4-Examples/blob/minimal/webftpclient/main.py
>
> (in case someone is interested and/or knows the answer)

I've glimpsed over it, and you're right: that's a blatant bug in either the
example or Qt itself. While I didn't harvested much success in filing Qt bugs
in the past, but it's still the best thing to do right now.

Let us know about the outcome, please.

Pete