[PyQt] building SIP on Windows PC

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Dec 22 18:15:19 GMT 2014

Hi,

* Donald E Limbaugh <delimbaugh21 at students.tntech.edu> [2014-12-22 18:03:56 +0000]:
> I could use some help, please.  I'm new to this PyQt stuff.
>

> I am trying to install PyQt4 on my Windows machine.  I downloaded SIP 4.16.4 & ran "python config.py" from a command window.  It looks like it installed OK, no errors.
>

> The problem is what to do next.  The SIP installation documentation said "the next step is to build SIP by running your platform's make command".  I'm not sure how to do this.  In the command window, I type in "make" & it gives me an error, saying 'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.  I tried using make with Python: "python make".  Still didn't like that.  I went back to the root directory & tried again with no success.
>

> I can see in the file directory that a makefile has been created, but I don't know how to run it.  I searched on the web for a clue but didn't find a simple answer...
>

> I asked a co-worker who is a code warrior, but he deals with wxPython, so the SIP/PyQt stuff is foreign to him.
>

> Suggestions?  Comments?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Try running nmake instead:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd9y37ha.aspx

Note you have to have the appropriate version of Visual Studio
installed.

Either way - is there a reason you're building PyQt yourself instead
of using the binary installer? That'd probably be a lot easier ;)

Also I'd recommend using PyQt5 and Qt5 - Qt4 won't be supported for
much longer.

Florian