[PyQt] Is pylrelease preferred over lrelease, and must both be run on the target platform?

lloyd konneker bootch at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 17 16:19:32 BST 2014

I'm having problems with i18n translations of Mac app menus
('Preferences' displays wrong in Portuguese, etc.)

Should I run pylrelease instead of lrelease?  Must I run it on the
target platform?

What I am doing now is running lrelease and pyrcc on Linux, and copying
the foo_rc.py file to a Mac.
That is, I assume the foo_rc.py file is portable.
I assume that the strings in such a file are always UTF-8 coded, on all
platforms, and that Qt at runtime does any necessary conversions.