[PyQt] What would cause a PyQt Designer plugin not to load , yet same plugin works in Qt Designer?

blipton at lycos.com blipton at lycos.com
Wed Aug 6 05:17:31 BST 2014

I have the Qt 5.3.1 suite installed on Win7 32-bit. In Qt Creator I
generated a .dll plugin that loads and works fine using Qt Designer.

Using the same computer, I then installed Python 3.4.1 and PyQt 5.3.1,
and copied the above dll into:

C:Python34Libsite-packagesPyQt5pluginsdesigner

However, when I open PyQt Designer (Help->About Plugins), it's listed
but says it cannot load the dll library ("The specified module could not
be found."). If I move the dll to any other folder, it doesn't get
listed at all in the about plugins menu.

Since PyQt doesn't come with Creator, I assume I have to modify the dll
build process using Qt Creator to something that PyQt Designer can
recognize, but what? They're both running 5.3.1, so not sure why the
Designers behave differently.

Thanks!

Ben