[PyQt] PyQt 5.1 QtQuick examples not working

Guy Cardwell gcardwel at hgmelectronics.com
Mon Oct 14 17:44:07 BST 2013

I've been trying to get the PyQt 5.1 QtQuick examples working without
success.  I'm running 32 bit Python 3.3.2 on a Windows 7 64 bit system.
 I've installed the binary packages for Windows from
http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/pyqt/download5.

I've run these examples from both the example launcher application (which
works), and directly from a command line using python.  When I run any of
the examples, they all open a window, but then report an error

class QWindowsEGLStaticContext *__cdecl
QWindowsEGLStaticContext::create(void):
Could not initialize egl display: error 12289

QOpenGLFunctions created with non-current context
QSGMaterialShader: Shader compilation failed:
""
QOpenGLShaderProgram::uniformLocation( matrix ): shader program is not
linked

So, this appears to be a problem with OpenGL.  In looking around with web
searches, I've seen similar errors reported when running Qt on virtual
machines, but this is not my environment. The non GUI QML demos appear to
work just fine.  On a hunch, I tried installing OpenGL bindings for Python
but that made no difference.

I have Qt 5.1 on the same system and the native Qt versions of the QtQuck
and QML exmaples appear to work properly.  I've tried the PyQt examples
both with and without Qt installed and the results are the same.  I have
also tried 64 bit versions of PyQt and Python with the same error messages
and results.

I'd be appreciative of any suggestions on how to resolve or debug this
problem.