[PyQt] Fwd: Re: c++ app integrate PyQt

David Boddie davidb at met.no
Tue Oct 1 16:00:59 BST 2013

On Tue Oct 1 15:16:58 BST 2013, John Fabiani wrote:

> If you would forward an example to me it would very helpful.

I'll try to dig something out. I sent a broken example to the mailing
list a few days ago, but I'm sure I could put something else together.

> I think
> both of you are suggesting that I wrap the C++ (BTW a very large app)
> and then write the entire program using PyQt. Is that correct.  You also
> suggest you succeeded integrating PyQt into a C++ but were disappointed
> with the results?  Could you explain beyond -you didn't like loading a
> python interpreter.  What was the down side.  Load time seems very fast
> with PythonQt.  I don't know what the load time of PyQt would be - but
> if it was under 10 seconds - that would be ok.

You don't have to wrap the entire API or rewrite the whole application.
You just need to identify which classes need to be exposed to Python and
wrap those.

In terms of embedding Python into a C++ application (or framework), I was
never very happy about whether or not I'd got the reference counting
correct.

> I may have to move to QML and javascript (a terrible language) - short
> of wrapping everything and or rewriting the entire program.

I'd advise against doing that unless there are strong reasons for using
either of those languages.

> BTW thanks guys for helping me.

No problem. That's what the mailing list is for.

David