[PyQt] PyQt4 memory leak

David Aguilar davvid at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 06:27:45 BST 2013

Matti Aarnio reported a memory leak in git-cola that I traced back to PyQt4.

I've attached a minimal reproducer.

I've tested this on Mac OS X and Debian/testing with PyQt4 4.9.x.

Matti's tried it on x86_64 Fedora 18, we see the same behavior there.

Everytime we hit the "Refresh" button more memory is consumed and
never returned.

Is there anything we can do differently to allow the widgets to get cleaned up?

The add_items() call uses treewidget.takeItems() to make the old items
go away, and then adds new items.  The old items do not seem to be
getting cleaned up.

Thanks,
--
David