[PyQt] APPCrash on exit, Qt4 MainWindow

Erik egusis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 13:52:08 BST 2013

Python 2.7.4x32, Qt 4.8.4 (4.10.2-py27)x32 on Windows 7 64-bit OS PC's
(multiple machines)

I'm having a reproducible APPCRASH (in QtGUI4.dll) on exit of any
application I write that uses a QMainWindow and a menuBar, if the window
contains > 10 other widgets.
If I remove widgets down below the threshold (10), app closes normally.
Whether I write it by hand or in QTDesigner, but if I include a menubar,
blank or otherwise, App does not close properly in Windows resulting in a
'close program' Windows dialog.

This happens on all 3 of my Windows 7 boxes here, but works fine in a
instance of Windows XP on an older machine. (Same PyQt/Python versions)

An example with code would be I create a QMainWindow in QT Designer, put 12
widgets of any combination on it. (In this example I added a menu bar in my
code, but works the same (crash) if I add it in QTDesigner.

import sys
from PyQt4 import QtGui
import ui_mainwindow as UIMW

class MainWindow(QtGui.QMainWindow, UIMW.Ui_MainWindow):

    def __init__(self):
        super(MainWindow, self).__init__()
        self.setupUi(self)

        # MenuBar testing
        self.menubar = self.menuBar()
        menu = self.menubar.addMenu("Test")

app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
window = MainWindow()
window.show()
sys.exit(app.exec_())

As long as my Ui_MainWindow has > 10 widgets + menuBar, I get:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    python.exe
  Application Version:    0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:    51606175
  Fault Module Name:    QtGui4.dll
  Fault Module Version:    4.8.4.0

About 10% of the time, the first time I run the app, it will not crash
until I run it again, click on some widgets, etc, and then exit.