[PyQt] headless browsing via PyQT4

Jiangcheng Bao jbao605 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 00:27:04 GMT 2013

I am trying to achieve headless browsing via QWebView or QWebPage, but
looks like the application would require a X server to connect to,
even if I don't call the .show() method.

The sample code at
http://webscraping.com/blog/Scraping-JavaScript-webpages-with-webkit/,
that does not call .show() method, but would fail with the following
error when running under terminal without DISPLAY set actually:

cannot connect to X server

I also tried to use module webkit.WebkitBrowser on
http://webscraping.com/, by creating WebkitBrowser and set gui=False
in the init method, but it also fails with the same error when there's
no DISPLAY.

Anybody has some idea how do I actually achieve headless browsing, by
either subclass QWebView, or webkit.WebkitBrowser?

Thanks
Jiangcheng Bao