[PyQt] Qscintilla api location in PyQt4

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Apr 3 15:44:36 BST 2013

On Apr 3, 2013, at 4:24 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:

>> Again, at least for OS X, still a problem.  The "standard" binary Qt
>> install has no root, QTDIR is not defined as far as I can see, and parts
>> are scattered around the system.  "qmake -query QTDIR" returns
> **Unknown**.
>> In PyQt I get '/' for qt_dir in pyqtconfig.py.
>
> You are still missing the point that QTDIR is just how configure.py refers
> to the Qt root directory in its help text (before it's able to report the
> actual value that will be used).
>
>> As installed, frameworks are in /Library/Frameworks.  Plugins,
> development
>> apps, language files, ... are in /Developer/Applications/Qt.  Command
> line
>> tools are in /usr/bin.  dev libraries & headers (clucene & uitools) in
>> /usr/lib & /usr/include.  mkspecs are in /usr/local/Qt4.8.
>
> That is that particular binary installer. A standard installation will put
> everything under a single directory. Creators of binary installers are free
> to put things anywhere they want. configure.py should have enough flags to
> allow the locations of the different components to be specified explicitly.

Well, it IS the "official" binary distribution.  I haven't had the need to compile Qt from source on OS X, so I don't know if that's the way it normally compiles for OS X.

>> qmake -query QT_INSTALL_DATA
>>
>> returns /usr/local/Qt4.8, same place as the mkspecs.
>>
>> No real root other than the root of the HD, so QTDIR/qsci misses
>> /usr/local/Qt4.8/qsci completely.
>
> I think using QT_INSTALL_DATA/qsci in the help message rather than
> QTDIR/qsci would avoid your confusion.

If the Qt data dir is what it uses, then this will certainly help the average user.  I'm reading "QTDIR" as something specific when I see it, and something not the same as other software uses, so I didn't even think to try letting it do its thing which might have been correct.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin