[PyQt] Is the download of sip and pyqt4 the same for 2.7 and 3.2?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Sun Jun 24 22:17:18 BST 2012

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:56:45 -0700, Vayu <vayu at sklinks.com> wrote:
> Is the download of sip and pyqt4 the same for 2.7 and 3.2?

Yes.

> The following is more of an install issue, I hope it's not inappropriate
> to ask here.
>
> I downloaded the latest version of sip/pyqt4 and the message from
> .configure indicated it was going to put some stuff in /usr/bin (and
some
> in a python3.2 directory).
>
> I already have 2.7 installed from my package manager (Ubuntu 11.04) and
am
> thinking that my existing install for 2.7 must have stuff in /usr/bin
and
> might break.
>
> Should I unistall everything sip and pyqt4 related and then run
> configure.py/make/make install separately for both 2.7 and then 3.2?

On the plus side that will give you the same version of PyQt for both
versions of Python.

On the minus side there may be other applications that depend on the
version of PyQt that Ubuntu installs for Python2.

> Or
> can I go ahead and leave 2.7 as is and just manually install for 3.2?
(my
> package manager had python 3.2 but not sip and pyqt4 for it.)

On the plus side you are not changing Ubuntu's defaults.

On the minus side the version of PyQt you use with Python3 may be
different to the version you use with Python2.