[PyQt] PyQt on BeagleBone

Mark mhubbard at garrett-tech.com
Wed Jul 25 23:46:11 BST 2012

Hi all,

I'm developing a commercial project using a BeagleBone system-on-module.
This runs Angstrom Linux:

Angstrom v2012.05 (Core edition)

Target system: arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi

I'd very much prefer to use PyQt for the GUI development for this project.
I'd like to buy a commercial license for it right away, from Riverbank.
Sadly it's out of the question thus far, because the latest PyQt package for
Angstrom is based on Angstrom distro 2011.03.  As far as I can tell, images
of that Angstrom version are no longer available.  Else I'd just roll the
system back to that version in order to install and use PyQt.

I've tried forcing the older (2011.03) packages of PyQt and SIP to install
on the 2012.05 Angstrom.  I ran down the dependencies and verified their
presence myself.  Even with workarounds for the problems that causes, I
still get error messages in Python which I suspect are caused by missing
libraries (of C).  Naturally I first made a backup of the system's SD card
(its entire boot & root media) so I can start fresh if needed.

I've read every scrap of info I could find on the web for this situation.
All day.  Tried several avenues to proceed.  I've already canvassed the
Angstrom site, the Qt site, the BeagleBone site, the Python site, and
everything else on the first several pages of a dozen Google searches.  All
dead ends.

Is there someone I can pay $$$ to resolve this problem within a few days?
For example by compiling PyQt from source code for this environment?  I'm an
accomplished desktop and embedded programmer, though I have very bad luck
compiling other people's C code in situations like this.  But I do have
access to some money for the person who can do it.  I also have a BeagleBone
to use for this purpose if it helps.  And a PC that can be used remotely to
accomplish this.

Thanks for any pointers to people or technical resources I've missed.  I can
be contacted on this list, or off-list by phone (in the USA): two too f0ur
siks thr3e sics f!ve 0ne thr3e 0ne extension 122 .  Ask for Mark or leave
voicemail.

Thanks!