[PyQt] need to install multiple versions of PyQt on each laptop at work

Suzanne Berger tangle1 at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 27 05:58:38 GMT 2012

I experimented with various releases of pyqt in order to determine which versions would be compatible with different versions of software that we use (Maya & Mobu 2011 and 2012). I am going to have to install at least 2 different versions of PyQt on all laptops in our department. We cannot pull modules from server. I am seeking advice related to doing multiple installations of PyQt on 1 computer. We use Windows 7 64-bit.  (we can't bundle using py2exe either)

1) Does PyQt installers change windows registry?

2) I noticed that after my 1st PyQt package install, subsequent installers squawked on multiple PyQt installlations. I chose separate folders directly under C drive to contain different versions.

3) I moved my initial PyQt installation from C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages to directly under C drive. If I want to uninstall this package, should I first move it back to initial location ?

4) One of the PyQt installers that I used, PyQt-Py2.6-gpl-4.6-snapshot-20090810-1.exe, completely wiped out my PATH environment variable and replaced it with that PyQt's bin directory instead of appending. I managed to restore important paths so my computer seems to be working ok, but I'm concerned about using this installer on other peoples laptops. Is it acceptable to simply copy entire installed PyQt package to other workstations. I would save in same location on C drive.

5) The other installer that I will be using: PyQt-Py2.6-gpl-4.7.3-1.exe

Thanks for your feedback.

Suzanne Berger