[PyQt] A quick question about Return in a text edit (Evan Driscoll)

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 15:38:03 GMT 2012

This type of question is better addressed to the Qt fora,
see qt-project.org/forums. That said...

You definitely can monitor all keystrokes using keyPressEvent.
You will likely find other reasons for doing so besides shift-enter,
for example you might trap ^f to implement find.

A whole lot of stuff comes through keyPressEvent, write a
simple one first that just prints the event's members out to the
console to get an idea. You will get very familiar with the key enum
in the Qt namespace.

Also for entering "newline"? In Q[Plain]TextEdit, you want to insert
the Unicode para separator, \u2029. Not \n.

Also, get Summerhill's book if you don't have it.