[PyQt] pyrcc4, windows and locales

Virgil Dupras hsoft at hardcoded.net
Tue Aug 7 17:56:54 BST 2012

Hi,

This morning, I've stumbled upon what I think is a bug in pyrcc4. When I run it on a windows machine with a french locale, the timestamp in the resulting file's comment will contain an accented character (August in french is "Août") and that accented character will be in the wrong encoding. Python 3.2.3 doesn't complain when I run the app "straight", but when I run cx_freeze on it, I get an UnicodeDecodeError and I can't continue.

I've worked around the problem by post-processing the resource file and stripping all comments.

Regards,
Virgil Dupras