[PyQt] Cannot 'configure' PyQt4.9 before build on Linuxmint

Brian Kelley kelley at eyesopen.com
Tue Apr 24 18:44:17 BST 2012

I got hit by this as well.  Apparently having the correct sip in your path
may not be enough.  I have attached a script that properly builds sip+qt
assuming you have downloaded the current tarballs.  It also has the
command that fails (SLED10-64/Ubuntu10-64) so Phil can take a look at it.

Essentially:

I had to specifically tell PyQt's configure where the sip include file
(include/sip.h) was.

> sip -V
4.13.2
> which sip
.../sip-4.13.2/bin/sip

> python configure.py \
  -q .../Trolltech/Qt-4.8.0/bin/qmake \
   -e .../sip-4.13.2/include \
   -v .../sip-4.13.2/share/sip

Note that "-e" and "-v" are the same flags as how you configured sip which
is how I figured this out in the first place (purely by serendipity, I
copied the wrong configure flags in a shell by accident)

I kind of think this might be a bug in the PyQt configure, but then I know
all about configuration hell so I have some sympathy ( I had to patch Qt
4.8 to properly build WebKit on SLED10-64 as well ).  I don't have
sympathy for the amount of time it took me to figure this out though, so
hopefully this will help future coders. :)

Brian