[PyQt] SIP wrapper: argument 1 has unexpected type 'QWidget'

Glenn Ramsey gr at componic.co.nz
Wed Oct 5 20:44:34 BST 2011

On 05/10/11 20:45, Glenn Ramsey wrote:
> On 05/10/11 20:18, Phil Thompson wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 10:23:18 +1300, Glenn Ramsey<gr at componic.co.nz>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm having some trouble with a simple SIP wrapper for a QWidget derived
>>> class.

>>> # Output
>>> HostWidget(): argument 1 has unexpected type 'QWidget'
>>
>> Nothing obviously wrong, so you need to provide a complete example and
>> version numbers.
>>
>> Phil
>
> Ok, Thanks. A bit more searching seems to indicate that this problem might be
> caused by a version mismatch. I recently updated Visual Studio which may be
> relevant. I'm going to rebuild PyQt and see if that helps.
>
> Glenn

That was the problem. I had updated Qt (but kept the old version on the machine)
and also PyQt but PyQt was still using the old version of Qt. I only noticed
this after removing the old Qt version when the configure.py was still trying to
find the old Qt installation, despite correctly finding qmake from the newer one.

This is because the configure script builds a C++ program that queries Qt for
the config info and I had the PyQt bin directory on my path, so it was finding
the dlls in there from the old Qt version.

Glenn