[PyQt] PyQt (Qt) widgets ignore Mac Keyboard Viewer input

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 16:50:44 GMT 2011

I wrote previously about (Py)Qt widgets ignoring generated keystrokes from
third-party apps like Typinator, but now I have verified that they also
ignore input from the official Mac OS built-in keystroke generator, the
Apple Keyboard Viewer. To test this,

   - open System Preferences
   - select the Language and Text pane
   - at the bottom, set the check box “Show input menu in menu bar”

Now from the menu bar you can pop out a Character Viewer that allows you to
view and enter any Unicode, or a Keyboard Viewer that shows you all the
special characters entered with modifier keys and enter them. These
generated keystrokes are ignored by Qt widgets, altho they are seen by BBEdit
and by official Apple apps such as TextEdit.

What I'm concerned about here, before filing a Qt bug, is that I may be
missing some feature or option I could be setting on my QLineEdit or
QTextEdit widget to fix this.