[PyQt] Why won't my dialog show properly when I set its parent on instantiation?

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Tue Nov 15 22:35:14 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 08 November 2011, 02:47:54 Åke Kullenberg wrote:
> In the attached example script, why won't the MyDialog instance show
> properly when I set MyDialog's parent to self on line 20 instead of
> leaving it blank?

Well, is does show properly. The difference is in positioning (as
expected). Without a parent, the frameless dialog is positioned
somewhere on the screen by the WM, in the other case, it is positioned
relative to the main window. For some reason, the WM overlays the main
window with the dialog then, but the concrete behavior of this rather
esoteric window flag is highly WM dependent anyway.

Pete