[PyQt] overriding QAbstractFileEngine::beginEntryList

Jos van den Oever jos at vandenoever.info
Tue May 24 10:33:02 BST 2011

On Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:13:07 AM Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 24.05.11 10:28:23, Jos van den Oever wrote:

> > > Just in case you haven't seen that yet, Nokia is going to drop
> > > QAbstractFileEngine for Qt5. I think they even deprecate the class and
> > > all related ones in Qt4.8 and add a new Filesystem-API that does not go
> > > through the file-engine stuff (or maybe they just change the existing
> > > classes, not sure right now).
> >
> > That does not invalidate the current bug.
>
> I did not say it does.
>
> > Until an alternative emerges that works with Qt4, QAbstractFileEngine
> > is the best way of exposing data as a file system.
>
> I was merely trying to give you a heads-up to maybe think about using
> something else to get the data into your app. Anyway, as I see now
> QFileInfo, QDir and QFile keep using the abstract-file-engine stuff
> while using the existing API.

I appreciate the information. If the change in Qt5 means that no similar FUSE-
like functionality is built into Qt, it would be useful to look at something
else, but I do not know what. Since QAbstractFileEngine is very useful, I
think it would be strange if the functionality does not reappear in some form.

Cheers,
Jos