[PyQt] qdialog and QLinearGradient shows dark gray

Joel B. Mohler joel at kiwistrawberry.us
Tue May 17 23:47:09 BST 2011

I'm having a QLinearGradient that doesn't work correctly on ubuntu with Qt
4.6.2 and PyQt 4.7.2.  I believe these are the standard ubuntu 10.04 versions.

I'm new to Qt css, but this is working on windows so I believe my css is
valid.  If I add this line, I get nothing but a dark background which is not
quite black.

   self.setStyleSheet( "QDialog {background-color: QLinearGradient(x1: 0, y1:
0, x2: 0, y2: 1, stop: 0 #f6f7fa, stop: 1 #dadbde);}")

If I replace the above line with

   self.setStyleSheet( "QDialog {background-color: GREEN}")

I get a charming (??!! not) bright green background as I'd expect.  The same
applies to message boxes with this dialog as parent due to the inheritance of
style sheets (which is correct).

Is this a bug in my specific versions?  What else can I try to figure out how
to fix the problem?

Joel