[PyQt] SIP PyQT compilation issue

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Thu Mar 31 09:20:34 BST 2011

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:45:54 -0700, emmanuel_mayssat at lynceantech.com
wrote:
> Phil,
>
> %Include -> %Import
> I was so close and yet ... so far ;-)
> Now everything works like a charm...
>
> Now as I was expecting, if my class inherits another C++ class, then I
> have to sip that class.
> So to sip a what-appear-to-be-simple class may actually be time
consumming.
> Is there a way to just sip what I want without sip'ing the entire class
> hierachy?
>
> As a matter of fact, I sip'ed a few classes and am now required to sip
> std::string.
> It seems that for that one I may just need to import something.... but
> what?
> Everything in my /usr/share/sip is for Qt...
> Am I required to sip std::string as in
> http://www.panix.com/~elflord/unix/siptute/index.html ?

You can lie to SIP as much as you want. For example if B is derived from A
in C++ you can tell SIP that it doesn't derive from anything and you won't
get access to any of A's methods from Python. You could even say that B
contained some of A's methods. The main problem area is virtuals (if you
want to expose them) which really have to be in the right class (including
all their reimplementations).