[PyQt] Failure to compile PyQt4 Python3.2

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Sat Mar 5 02:48:18 GMT 2011

On Friday 04 March 2011 20:04:31 Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:16:56 +1100, Algis Kabaila
> <akabaila at pcug.org.au>
>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to upgrade from Python 2.6 to Python 3.2, including
> > PyQt. So far I used PyQt installed as binaries from ubuntu
> > 10.10 repositories as well as Qt4 : 4.7.0ubuntu4.2.

snip...
> > sipQtHelpQHelpIndexWidget.o sipQtHelpQHelpIndexModel.o
> > sipQtHelpQHelpEngine.o
> > sipQtHelpQHelpEngineCore.o sipQtHelpQHelpContentWidget.o
> > sipQtHelpQHelpContentModel.o sipQtHelpQHelpContentItem.o -
> > L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lQtHelp -lQtGui -lQtCore -lXext
> > - lX11 -lm -lpthread
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[1]: *** [QtHelp.so] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ak/PyQt/PyQt-x11-
> > gpl-4.8.3/QtHelp'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> > ak at amd64:~/PyQt/PyQt-x11-gpl-4.8.3$
> >
> > All of the tail listing is too deep for me to fathom. Your
> > help will be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > OldAl.
>
> Sounds like you are missing the libxext-dev package.
>
> Phil

I think that your conclusion is spot on! After the installation
of libxext-dev, the make process did complete on second attempt.
The first attempt ended with the compiler complaining about
permissions, so for the second attempt I issued
sudo make
and that did complete.
Thank you for the great product, PyQt and your amazing patience
of scanning emails and replying! Truly amazing!

The following is a record of what transpired and my guesses at
the resons for it and possible remedies.  This  record will help
me for the next attempt and may help others.

After *sudo make* and *sudo make install*, python3.2 failed to
import PyQt4. I then tried python3.1 and found that in python3.1
it was possible to import PyQt4 and *from PyQt4 import QtCore*,
but not *QtGui*.  A mess. Conclusion: python3.1 first should be
completely uninstalled.  Also, instead of using
*python3 configure.py*
it is better to use
*python3.2 configure.py*
regardless of the fact that python3 script does invoke
python3.2.

I will try the installation again in a fairly freshly installed
kubuntu 10.10  partition.

Will report what transpires to the list.

Once again, many thanks for Phil for his generosity and
consistent work,

OldAl.

--
Algis