[PyQt] installTranslator does not work in help function

Martin Altmayer martin.altmayer at web.de
Sun Jun 5 21:36:19 BST 2011

Hello,

it seems that whether the translation works depends on the context where
QApplication.installTranslator is called.
The following code works as it should:

from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui

app = QtGui.QApplication([])
translator = QtCore.QTranslator()
translator.load("hello_de")
app.installTranslator(translator)

hello = QtGui.QPushButton(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Test","Hello
World!"))
hello.resize(100, 30)
hello.show()

app.exec_()

In contrast, the next application does not display the translated text,
although I simply moved the initialization into a function:

from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui

def init():
  app = QtGui.QApplication([])
  translator = QtCore.QTranslator()
  translator.load("hello_de")
  app.installTranslator(translator)
  return app

app = init()

hello = QtGui.QPushButton(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Test","Hello
World!"))
hello.resize(100, 30)
hello.show()

app.exec_()

Did I make a mistake or is this a difference between PyQt and Qt? As far as
I understand, this is not covered by "Differences Between PyQt and Qt" (
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/html/i18n.html) and
seems not to be documented elsewhere.

The appendix contains the ts-file that I used.

Thanks,
Martin Altmayer