[PyQt] A dire warning message

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Fri Jul 8 02:36:36 BST 2011

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 03:36:40 AM Baz Walter wrote:

> according to that thread, the problem has been fixed in kde-4.6.1. are
> you able to upgrade?
>
> >> Hmm, at the first glance, this is a KDE problem, since KDE plugs its own
> >> file dialog into Qt, but fails to properly deal with locales there
> >> after due to them not being initialized correctly. This is going to
> >> produce issues, if you're calling QFileDialogs and expects them being
> >> localized correctly. It might be possible to circumvent these issues by
> >> instancing KApplication instead of QApplication (and doing the proper
> >> KDE4 setup sequence).
>
> yes, the problem is indirectly caused by a "compatibility" plugin that
> invokes the kde open-dialog instead of the one provided by qt.
>
> the offending plugin is usually installed here:
>
>       /usr/lib/kde4/plugins/gui_platform/libkde.so
>
> personally, i always remove it whenever kde is updated.

Baz,

Being a careful (and easily rattled) old soul, I did not remove libke.so, but
moved it to my data partition, so that I would have a chance to "reinstate" it
if it was necessary.  Have not noticed any harmful effects - Kmail continued to
work, opening and saving files.

Unfortunately, it did not have any effect on the "dire warning message", as the
following dialog shows:

ak at supremo:~/save$ python3 save.py
KGlobal::locale::Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a valid
main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you tried to
call i18n related functions before your main component was created. You should
not do that since it most likely will not work
ak at supremo:~/save$

There is no change as far as the little test script shows.  Perhaps I am too
timid, but I copied back the libkde.so where it was, namely
/usr/lib/kde4/plugins/gui_platform/libkde.so

Thank you again for the interesting suggestion.

OldAl.