[PyQt] QMainWindow bug?

Fri Jan 21 23:02:12 GMT 2011

Il giorno ven, 21/01/2011 alle 22.01 +0100, Erik Janssens ha scritto:
> Hello Nicola,
>
> I'm not sure what happens when you reset the parent of a widget to None,
> (wether it then transfers ownership back to python).

it works

> If you get that run-time error, this means that qt deleted the widget, this
> random effect might have been triggered by the garbage collector.

I cannot reproduce the error systematically it never happened during my
tests, a customer reported to me this error, I added the try except
statment and noone reported any problem

> you can verify this by disabling the garbage collector and see if
> it still happens :
>
> import gc
> gc.disable()
>
> I'm don't know if this trick with reparenting works, but it looks like
> a good trick to have speedups ??

attacched is an updated sample with a time.sleep in __init__, so when
the dialog is loaded from the cache the difference is noticeable.

if I understand your article
(http://downloads.conceptive.be/downloads/camelot/doc/sphinx/build/advanced/development.html) my sample should not work, I'm setting the parent of a qt object to None, so qt should delete it, and I'm keeping a reference to the python object (this seems the opposite of what you suggets). Please play with the sample, for example you can:

- click on "Open dialog", the first time you'll wait about 5 seconds
- when you close the dialog it's parent is setted to None, and the
global object is populated
- click "Change widget", and click "Open dialog" again (from a different
widget), this time the dialog is loaded from the cache
- you can repeat the sequence, or try any other order

this works, but probably it should not work ...

Nicola