[PyQt] Issues Installing

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Wed Jan 12 22:09:01 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 12 January 2011, 22:50:11 Corey Richardson wrote:
> On 01/12/2011 04:39 PM, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:20:47 -0500, Corey Richardson
> > <kb1pkl at aim.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I cannot use PyQt. I get the following error when trying to (among
> >> other things), install eric or ninja-ide:
> >>
> >> Traceback (most recent call last):
> >>   File "install.py", line 836, in <module>
> >>     main(sys.argv)
> >>   File "install.py", line 749, in main
> >>     doDependancyChecks()
> >>   File "install.py", line 521, in doDependancyChecks
> >>     from PyQt4.QtCore import qVersion, PYQT_VERSION
> >> RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v8.0 to v8.1 but the
> >> PyQt4.QtCore module requires API v7.1
> >>
> >> I've tried back-grading to older versions of Qt4 and python-sip.
> >> I'm using the default packages that come with Linux Mint
> >> (originated from the Ubuntu repos), though I did compile from
> >> source at one point all the most recent versions of Qt4, PyQt, and
> >> sip. (PyQt failed to install, along with sip). I'm using Linux
> >> Mint, Python 2.6.6, and everything is up-to-date. Has anyone else
> >> had this issue, and how did they resolve it?
> >
> > The version of PyQt you are using was compiled against an older
> > version of SIP but you are trying to use it with a newer version.
> >
> > Phil
>
> Which version of SIP should I be using with PyQt 4.7.4 then?

The newer, the better. But before you throw another sip onto your
system, clean it up. The effects you suffer from are home made.

Deinstall all related packages, remove the home grown ones, and start
over. I always advocate for building packages in your distributions
format. It pays off, when you try to install them on a second machine,
but anyway..

Good luck,
Pete