[PyQt] Get platform?

Mike Ramirez gufymike at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 19:41:34 GMT 2011

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:17:54 am Philippe Crave wrote:
> maybe something from the platform module ?
> http://docs.python.org/library/platform.html
>
> platform.system()
> Returns the system/OS name, e.g. 'Linux', 'Windows', or 'Java'. An
> empty string is returned if the value cannot be determined.

The only problem with using this in this situation is that Windows can also
run x11 with cygmin or xming. So checking the OS version is not a great way. I
did look earlier when this post was finished, but the basic python lib,
platform, os, sys, sysconfig (maybe something in tkinter might) didn't show an
obvious answer to this (also maybe sysconfig.get_config_vars() might).

I think Pete's solution is the best solution for this.

Mike
--
For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill.
		-- R. Clopton