[PyQt] getting dip running

Sebastian Wiesner lunaryorn at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 7 10:21:41 GMT 2011

2011/2/7 Achim Kisseler <ak7 at jupiter.uni-freiburg.de>:
> Hi,
>
> trying to use dip, I have some problems to install python 2.7.
>
> Because dip needs 2.7, I installed it from kubuntu backports on my ubuntu
> 10.10 64bit OS.
>
> The error message:
> ImportError: No module named PyQt4.QtGui
> is due to not proper module linking, because that works with python 2.6.

Isn't this error message self-explanatory?  You obviously need to
install PyQt for Python 2.6.  Python 2.7 doesn't magically use modules
installed for Python 2.6.  This wouldn't work anyway, because CPython
has the habit of breaking ABI between minor versions, modules compiled
for older Python versions likely do not work on more recent versions.

Sebastian Wiesner