[PyQt] BUG: sip instance attribute error: Re: [eric4] python qscintilla traceback with current snapshot also

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sun Feb 6 14:03:45 GMT 2011

Dear Erik,

On Sunday 06 February 2011, 05:19:54 erik at eebrown.com wrote:
> Mr. Jansen,
>
>   I noticed your messages on this subject, and wonder if you found a
> resolution to this problem?

I was able to track the issue down to this, and this message contains a
temporary workaround to eric:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2011-February/029163.html

Hopefully, you're able to apply the diff, it's around line 1261. With
it, you're able to use eric again.

OTOH, I'm too busy at the moment to investigate for a real fix to the
issue. Interestingly, you're on win32. Could you document your
environment a bit more, e.g. OS version, where do your packages
Python, Qt, sip, and PyQt stem from, or how do you built them yourself
(including logs, if possible). That would be really helpful to narrow
down the circumstances, where this issue appears..

> I am somewhat new to python and have
> been using IDLE.  Figured I should up my game and start using an IDE
> and settled on using Eric4.  I was able to get everything installed
> from the downloadable installation files but am hitting the same
> problem you appear to be seeing.  Whenever I try to open a file or
> create a new file, I get the error 'sip.methoddescriptor' object is
> not callable.  Oddly enough, the other problem I see is that I can't
> resize the Eric4 window horizontally (up and down works fine).
> Wouldn't expect this to be related, but in the interest of full
> disclosure.

No it's not, and this sounds strange. You may want to play with the PyQt
examples a bit to check for other deficits.

>   If it helps, below is the gory details of what I'm seeing, which
> traces down to the same line you point to in your note.  I am using
> Python 2.5 and thought perhaps I would upgrade to 2.6 in an attempt
> to fix this.  However, since you are using 2.6 I thought I would
> check in with you first.  Perhaps I should fall back to Eric4 v4.4.10
> instead.

No, this won't fix your issue, since it is something related to sip, or
rather the way, that sip is built.

Pete