[PyQt] Issue installing PyQt4 installer on Win

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sun Apr 17 11:44:57 BST 2011

On Sonntag, 17. April 2011, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:17:41 +0200, Detlev Offenbach
>
> <detlev at die-offenbachs.de> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried to install PyQt4 via the installer on an Windows machine as a
> > normal
> > user. The installation worked fine most of the way. However, it tried to
> >
> > install the menu for "All users". That failed due to missing permissions
> > and
> > the install stopped. I don't know what it would do therafter.
> >
> > When I tried to import a PyQt4 package in Python (from PyQt4 import
> > QtCore) I
> > got an error message because loading the DLL failed. I had to copy all
>
> the
>
> > DLLs from ...\PyQt4\bin into ...\PyQt4.
> >
> > What is going on here? I would expect PyQt4 to installable as a
> > non-priveleged
> > user as well.
>
> I assume this is under XP.
>
> The installer requires admin privileges and correctly asks for an
> appropriate password with Vista & 7. I admit it could be more flexible, but
> I don't have the knowledge to improve it without risking breaking what
> seems to be fine for most people.

Unfortunately this would only work, if you have access to the admin password,
which will not be the case all the time. I assume, you are using some
installer package to generate the exe packages. Shouldn't such an installer be
able to generate a non-admin installer? At least the Mercurial people managed
this with the InnoSetup installer. Unfortunately I cannot be of any help in
this area because Win is not my main development environment. Maybe somebody
reading this can help.

Regards,
Detlev
--