[PyQt] why do closeEvent and destroyed slot not get called on accepting PyQt4 QDialog?

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Thu Apr 7 16:44:22 BST 2011

On Thursday 07 April 2011, 17:27:15 Rui DaCosta wrote:
> Firstly thanks again for your reply,
>
> In the original code, from where this simplification is based, I have
> cleanup code on both closeEvent and destroyed, but...
>
> that's just the problem, the closeEvent isn't getting fired (unless I
> manually call close) - except when the window is closed from the
> close box.
>
> I was expecting that from the docs for done(), I would not have to on
> done(), ie. is this a bug? or are the docs incorrect?
>
> And separately,  destroyed is a signal according to the docs
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/html/qobject.ht
>ml#destroyed
>

> but I cannot get it to fire for QDialog, no matter what I do,
> including manually calling destroy().
>
> The object appears deleted when inspected with sip.isdeleted, even
> before the destroy() - so if that is the case, why does it not raise
> a destroyed signal?

Well, looks like this is an issue in Heisenbergs uncertainty principle
domain ;-)

It's simply the GC, that's in the way. If you anchor the connect
somewhere else, the destroyed signal "gets though". If your real dialog
has a parent, you might get away with anchoring the connect there.

import sys
from PyQt4.QtGui import *
from PyQt4.QtCore import *

def pr(arg):
    sys.stdout.write(arg + "\n")
    sys.stdout.flush()

class Dialog(QDialog):
    def __init__(self):
        QDialog.__init__(self, None, Qt.WindowFlags(Qt.WA_DeleteOnClose))
        self.button_box = QDialogButtonBox(self)
        self.button_box.addButton(self.button_box.Ok)
        self.button_box.accepted.connect(self.on_accept)
        layout = QVBoxLayout()
        layout.addWidget(self.button_box)
        #self.setAttribute(Qt.WA_DeleteOnClose)
        self.setLayout(layout)
        self.destroyed.connect(self.on_destroyed)

    def on_destroyed(self, *args):
        pr("destroying dialog")

    def on_accept(self):
        pr("accepting")
        self.done(42)

    def closeEvent(self, event):
        pr("close")
        return QDialog.closeEvent(self, event)

app = QApplication([])
widget = Dialog()
widget.destroyed.connect(lambda: pr("destroyed"))
result = widget.exec_()
del widget
#my_widget.destroy()
print("result: %s" % result)