[PyQt] trouble installing pyqt4 from source on fedora 13

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 15:16:27 BST 2010

I just upgraded the OS on a computer at work to fedora 13, and I am
attempting to install sip and pyqt4 from source (since the versions
provided by the package manager are surprisingly out of date.) When I
run "python configure.py", I get the following:

---
Determining the layout of your Qt installation...
Error: Qt has been built as static libraries so either the -g or -k argument
should be used.
---

I don't think this is accurate. I have installed the qt-devel package
(4.6.3-8fc13.x86_64), and my /usr/lib64 contains the libQt*.so files
for all the .so files I expected to see. Here are the contents of
qtdirs.out:

---
/usr/lib64/qt4
/usr/include
/usr/lib64
/usr/lib64/qt4/bin
/usr/lib64/qt4
/usr/lib64/qt4/plugins
263683
1048575
Open Source

PyQt_NoPrintRangeBug
---

Could anyone suggest what I've overlooked? According to
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/14306102/dir/fedora_13/com/qt-4.6.3-8.fc13.x86_64.rpm.html
, the packages I have installed should have provided the shared
libraries, but I must be missing something.

Thanks,
Darren