[PyQt] Howto use the Qt documentation successfully - Was: Re: Access to lines of text on textEdit.

Peter Milliken peter.milliken at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 00:25:39 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj at urpla.net> wrote:

> Come on, Peter, that's not fair. Phil decided to not provide the bulky docs
> in an otherwise pretty complete package for Windows users: please respect
> that. He has to pay for your downloads in some ways (and is doing a lot of
> work for generating those packages beforehand).

It was an attempt at constructive criticism, I have only admiration for the
job Phil is doing. But perhaps some hints as to what is missing, why and
where you can go to fill in the blanks would be appropriate? You do WANT
people to take up PyQt don't you? Please take my comments in the vein of
making you aware of where improvements may be possible. I do after all come
from that unique standpoint of being completely new to PyQt and Qt :-)

> You get what you deserve. It's *your* decision after all.
>
> Pete

True :-)

After reviewing and reflecting on my experiences with PyQt over the last two
weeks and also considering the implications of some of your comments here
which relate to a depth of knowledge that isn't immediately obvious to a
newbie such as myself, I think I will "abandon" my migration to PyQt and Qt
for the foreseeable future. I think you all do a sterling job in promoting
and supporting PyQt but at this point of time I think I "deserve" something
that requires a little less work :-). I have enjoyed my journey and I don't
regret the time I have spent bouncing around in the PyQt world - perhaps one
day I might dust off my books and notes and revisit.

Thanks for the efforts

Peter