[PyQt] QDockwidget advice needed

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Mon Sep 6 19:57:17 BST 2010

Dear Al,

On Saturday 21 August 2010, 03:42:22 Algis Kabaila wrote:
> > Not exactly, but who cares. AFAICS, all you need is the Signals and
> > Slots chapter. Unfortunately, it misses the new style signals (because
> > Phil invented them later), but you should get hold of them from the
> > beginning. Much less to type, better type checking, and no silly Qt
> > types anymore. IIRC, the later variants of Marks examples available on
> > his site do use them already.
>
> Mark Summerfield's "Rapid GUI Programming with Python an Qt" is one
> of my most valued possessions and most highly respected programming
> guides.  As I am a perennial noob, I would like to get hold of some
> examples of the new type SIGNALs, preferably examples from Mark's book.
> When you say that "variants of Marks examples available on his site do
> use them already", would it be too much trouble to refer me to the
> chapter number?  (Chapter 4 deals with SIGNALS and SLOTS. SLOTS are dealt
> with in both new and old style, but SIGNALS are in the old style. Chapter
> 10 deals with the deeper level of *events*).

Yes, you're right. I thought, that Mark adjusted the 2.6 variant of book
examples accordingly, but obviously, that was a mirage..

Luckily, Phil's concept is pretty sound, here is his description:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/PyQt4/pyqt4ref.html#new-style-signal-and-slot-support

Just play with it a bit and call back in case of trouble.

Good luck,
Pete