[PyQt] Optimizing WebView display

alan moore me at alandmoore.com
Thu Sep 2 04:05:47 BST 2010

I ran my script with callgrind and looked at the output in Kcachegrind,
but I didn't really grasp much of what it was telling me.  It seems that
I'm spending an inordinate amount of time in libfontconfig.so, but
otherwise I couldn't identify any of my functions that were slow.

The tricky part about optimizing this is that it isn't exactly the
*program itself* that is slow -- the thin clients aren't running the
program.  They're just receiving the X11 data from the server (which is
actually running the code, and barely breaking a sweat doing it).

So I guess what I really need is to reduce the amount of data being sent
to the X server to a bare minimum.  It does alright with showing a web
page, it's the actual interactive bits (drop downs, text inputs, etc)
that are really slow.