[PyQt] ANN: Preview of Python code editor widget - pure Python alternative to QScintilla

Henning Schröder henning.schroeder at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 03:42:02 BST 2010

Hello,

although QScintilla is nice I always thought it would be good to base
an editor widget on QPlainTextEdit.
Over the time I implemented the typical parts which were missing:
 * line number and icon sidebar
 * highlighting the current line, higlighting the occurrence of the current word
 * line wrap indicator on the right side
 * visible whitespace
 * folding
After that I got interested in advanced features:
 * parenthese matching, auto-text
 * Emacs-like auto-indention, auto-complete, call-tips, syntax checking
 * snippets
 * rectangular selections

Some parts are still buggy and the whole code-base should be
cleaned-up and documented but I hereby release a preview.
Maybe someone would like to play with such a think or someone is
interested how to implement folding with a QPlainTextEdit.

A preliminary web page is here:
http://www.henning-schroeder.de/codeaide/

If there is enough interest I will try to stabilize the code and make
a simple demo IDE available, too.

Greets
Henning