[PyQt] Detecting which Python version is used by SIP and PyQt

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sat Oct 23 20:04:35 BST 2010

On Saturday 23 October 2010, 19:28:34 Baz Walter wrote:
> On 23/10/10 18:07, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 17:39:28 +0100, Baz Walter<bazwal at ftml.net>
wrote:

> >> not sure i understand you here. the current situation on arch is:
> >>
> >>       python ->  python3.1
> >
> > That is unbelievably dumb.
>
> that was exactly my initial reaction. however, given arch's
> philosophy, it does make sense.

No idea, how this move could be labeled philosophy, since it is going to
break nearly every 3rd party python software out there. In the end it
only contributes to arch users isolation as it will always take arch
specific patches to get legacy code working. No sane distribution will
follow this pattern.

I'm really sorry to have answered to this thread without understanding
the full scope, and therefore even contributed to the confusion.

As a consequence, I'm going to ignore each and every arch linux python
compatibility issue, that may arise here.

Thanks for the warning,
Pete