[PyQt] Detecting which Python version is used by SIP and PyQt

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Sat Oct 23 17:39:28 BST 2010

On 23/10/10 12:25, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 23 October 2010, 02:54:40 Xavion wrote:
>> Doing so will save me from having to hard-code something like
>> "#!/usr/bin/env python2" into the main executable file, only to be
>> disappointed after finding out that some Linux distributions have
>> already built PyQt on Python v3.
>
> For a transition phase of a couple of years, I would do it the other
> way around. Your distribution should have created a python3 symlink,
> hence, if you code for python3, use #!/usr/bin/env python3, given it
> isn't compatible with python<  3, otherwise use #!/usr/bin/env python.

not sure i understand you here. the current situation on arch is:

     python -> python3.1
     python3 -> python3.1
     python2 -> python2.7

so the problem is that it is now necessary to explicitly invoke python2
on arch if your program is incompatible with python3. i haven't really
researched this, but i think that whilst most distros provide python3
symlinks, far fewer provide python2 symlinks. also, i think it may be
more common for python to be a symlink for python-2.x, even when
python-3.x is also installed.