[PyQt] SIP v5 Roadmap

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sat Nov 27 15:09:57 GMT 2010

On Monday 22 November 2010, 17:06:01 Phil Thompson wrote:
> I've added a roadmap for SIP v5 at...
>
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/sip/roadmap

From the latest experience with PyQwt (with the still unexplained issues
related to switching off a feature: see thread "[PyQt] sip snapshot
problem with PyQwt"), one problem was a single dangling %End directive.

While better error messages are greatly appreciated, I expect locating
such problems will still going to be tough in a big library, because of
the inherent ambiguity. Wouldn't unambiguous %End directives allow for
much easier formal consistency verification
(e.g. %EndIf, %EndTypeHeaderCode, %EndMethodCode, etc..).

@all:
How could class templates be supported in an easier way? As far as I
understand it, one has to specify all different types one by one. How
about a %TemplateTypes directive?

Some thoughts for (Meta-)SIP v6:
 - transformation tool for gccxml output to sip
 - automated timeline/version management, based on gccxml output of
   different project versions
 - template based mix-in controller for injecting various directives,
   annotations, code segments targetting automated sip generation

Pete