[PyQt] ANN: Preview of Python code editor widget - pure Python alternative to QScintilla

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Wed Nov 17 03:54:17 GMT 2010

Benoit,

I did download your editor to try it out.  I note that the matching
bracket "(" is not added automatically, nor the space after a comma;
not does it automatically add left spacing after a command that ends
with ":", viz "for i in range(5):

 Perhaps it is because the program does not like me  :) When I try to
run it, I get an error message:

execute
/bin/sh: /usr/bin/osso-xterm: not found
14

I must admit that I rather liked Henning's work - it does take care of
the above "complaints"  of mine...

Good luck with your project.  I would urge you to study classes that
Henning has in his modules - they are rather interesting.

Thank you for bringing your project to list's attention,

OldAl.

Perhaps you should give a list of prerequisites to run your program.
On Tuesday 16 November 2010 22:37:37 Benoît HERVIER wrote:
> [...]
>
> http://khertan.net/khteditor
> http://gitorious.org/khteditor
>
> You can look at my code for :
>
> - parenthese matching
>
> Mine include some kinetic scrolling as it s mainly for Maemo device,
> so the kinetic scrollbar already inform user for the text not show
as
> not wrapped :)
>

> 2010/11/13 Algis Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au>:
> > On Thursday 02 September 2010 12:42:02 Henning Schröder wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >

> >> although QScintilla is nice I always thought it would be good to
base

> >> an editor widget on QPlainTextEdit.
> >
> >> Over the time I implemented the typical parts which were missing:
> >
> >> * line number and icon sidebar
> >
> >> * highlighting the current line, higlighting the occurrence of
the current
> >> word
> >
> >> * line wrap indicator on the right side
> >
> >> * visible whitespace
> >
> >> * folding
> >
> >> After that I got interested in advanced features:
> >
> >> * parenthese matching, auto-text
> >
> >> * Emacs-like auto-indention, auto-complete, call-tips, syntax
checking

> >> * snippets
> >
> >> * rectangular selections
> >

> >> Some parts are still buggy and the whole code-base should be
> >
> >> cleaned-up and documented but I hereby release a preview.
> >
> >> Maybe someone would like to play with such a think or someone is
> >
> >> interested how to implement folding with a QPlainTextEdit.
> >

> >> A preliminary web page is here:
> >
> >> http://www.henning-schroeder.de/codeaide/
> >

> >> If there is enough interest I will try to stabilize the code and
make

> >> a simple demo IDE available, too.
> >

> >> Greets
> >
> >> Henning
> >

> > Henning,
> >
> > I missed your email on the list, so I am late to reply. I for one
am very
> > interested in a Python editor. I have downloaded your sample code
and plan
> > to study it with a view of learning about the plain textEdit.
> >
> > As a start, I started playing with the demo edit program and ma
really
> > impressed with it. I've noticed that typing "print{" gets
corrected and
> > interpreted as "print()". Very pleasing, particularly as my
eysight is too
> > poor to distinguish between the curly bracket "{" and the ordinary
bracket
> > "(" without using magnifying glass!
> >
> > My interest in Qt is rather limited - I want to further improve
the GUI I
> > wrote for my Python program for structural analysis of engineering
> > structures (the book and the program are under GPL).
> >
> > In spite of my lack of knowledge of Qt and PyQt, I hope to gain
considerably
> > by studying your code. I have not noticed if it is GPL or similar.
Would you

--
Algis Kabaila
http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/